Thursday, October 28, 2004

Declining intelligence

It seems to me that the media has put forth a great effort to keep the American population dumb. I’m not referring to general intelligence, but to knowledge or possession of truth.
It seems like the powers (the rich and powerful who would like to be richer and more powerful) have been whittling away at intelligence since the birth of easily accessible media. I supposed we could trace this intention all the way back throughout history. The powerful have almost always abused the poor for their own benefit – including keeping the peasants ignorant of what is really going on.
What perplexes me is that this country has stood behind the right to education for EVERYONE. This country probably has some good statistics regarding the general level of education of the entire population. Yet it seems that while we ‘know’ more, we are still being played as the puppets of the powerful.
So how do the powerful keep an increasingly educated mass from knowing the truth? If I were in that position (and I am not) I would start by attacking the definition of truth. I would attempt to convince everyone that truth is relative and that there can be no ‘universal’ truth. Once people start to buy into that, I would challenge the definition of happiness. I would define it as, ‘the attainment of my products and services.’ Additionally I would go about a plan to keep people from ‘growing up.’ What I mean by this is that when people are between the age of reason (7-9 years old) and adulthood (the dying to selfish attitudes) they are keenly aware of themselves. They constantly try to figure out how they fit into the web of society. One overarching attribute of people this age is their selfishness. It seems from their perspective that the whole world revolves around them.
If, as a rich and powerful man as described above, I want to achieve my goals, I would do what I can to keep people in this selfish mentality. Teenagers are one of the most sought after market segments because they are willing to make purchasing decisions that are unwise and imprudent. So if I can extend this market segment from 9 years old to death, that expands my ideal market dramatically.
I believe that this is exactly what has been happening here in America. I don’t think that this is a big conspiracy that we are all unaware of. I don’t think that this whole thing has been guided by some diabolical person(s) with the intent to deceive and conquer. I think that it has happened more subtly by many people over time.
But here I am, living in a culture where this is daily life. There is little I can do to immediately change the system. I can make efforts that will hopefully change the system in the long run, but it must be a consorted effort of many people. Hopefully others will see what is happening and be willing to work together to work towards a change in our economic system.
Let’s grow up out of our adolescent days and become reasonable and responsible adults who refuse to be played like a puppet by the rich and powerful. Don’t’ adopt the attitude of ‘if you can’t beat them, join them.’ Life is not about us. It is about others. The sooner we realize this and change our lives, the sooner we will break free of this downward spiral culture we live in.

No comments: